Saturday, December 13, 2008

Update On Elizabeth

Elizabeth went and seen her ped yesterday afternoon. The ped didn't have all of the er reports yet so she wants to see her again on Wednesday. She wants to be able to go over everything from the er to see if she needs to order more bloodwork or tests. She did say that given E's premature birth and everything else that she has been through, she wouldn't be surprised if there isn't something small wrong in her brain that scans didn't pick up before because of how little she was. She thinks that the neurologist will want an mri as well as the eeg.

Her neurologist is going to get the tests scheduled and told me to keep an eye on her in the mean time. They also said that maybe it will never happen again, but it could also happen again today...you just never know. They haven't said yet if they want to put her on anything to help prevent them. It use to be that if a child had even one, they were immeditely put on meds. However, they don't do that anymore.

After talking with the first responder who was on scene that is a close personal friend of ours, I found out that what I thought was a seizure that lasted forever was actually multiple seizures. He said he didn't want to say anything to me at the time because I was doing so well caring for E and he didn't want to scare me, but he seen 2 if not 3 seizures while he was on scene. So she probably had 4 to 6 seizures in a half hours time.

She is acting normal today and isn't as tired as she was yesterday. She doesn't seem to have any lasting affects of the seizures. Her ped said that the fact that I have some medical knowledge and had oxygen right at hand helped tremendously. I put her on oxygen so fast and that helped. Had I had to wait for medical help it would have been another 5 minutes or so without adequate oxygen. SO thank God that I have that at hand!!

No comments: