Monday, December 8, 2008

E.R. Visit Last Night

On Thursday and Friday I was really sick with a stomach bug. I couldn't keep anything in me and dehydrated myself to no end. I was very weak and yucky. But by Saturday I was feeling pretty much back to normal.

Well, last night E decided it was her turn to have the bug. Being she has the feeding tube it's no problem to keep her hydrated. However, anytime there was food going into her stomach she would start retching and gagging. And as I've mentioned before she has had her nissen redone once already and there isn't a surgeon that would touch her to redo it again. With that being said, I cant take the chance of letting her gag and dry heave like that. I also can't just not give her any fluids as then she will dehydrate. So at midnight I bundled her into the car and headed to Lansing.

Once there they checked her over and decided some anti-nausea medicine would do her well. Which I surprised, because they have never given her any before when she has been sick like this. However, they gave her some Zofran and then gave her 40 ml of pedialyte in her tube and yoohoo no gagging. So they sent us home with a script of Zofran to give to her up to 3 times a day as needed for the gagging. Obviuosly the bug has to work it's self out so she will probably have some diarrehia for awhile, but that' s okay as long as I can hydrate her without causing any damage to her nissen. Right now I'm just giving her pedialyte. Tomorrow I'll switch to half pedialyte and half formula and then the next day to full formula. I want her little tummy to get a rest from food so it isn't so uncomfortable for her.

Her nuerologist called today. They aren't going to do any iron supplement right now even though her feratin level is low because her hemiglobin level is elevated. Which her hemiglobin is generally always high espicially if she is sick. So in 4 weeks or so they want her labs redrawn and they will decided waht to do.

We are having a hard time getting her insurance to pay for her cpap mask and head gear to wear right now to get use to because she doesn't have the actual cpap machine. The doctors are going to try to right a letter of neccessity to get it approved. If that doesn't work then I get to figure out how to come up with $130.00 for the mask and head gear and there is no gaurantee insurance will reimburse me when she gets the cpap. So we'll see what happens. Wish us luck!

No comments: