Friday, January 2, 2009

EEG Results and New Medication

So I finally heard from the doctor on Friday with the results of Elizabeth's EEG. The EEG was normal which I had pretty much already figured. He did say to remember it is only a quick snapshot of her brain activity. He is putting her on keppra. He said it has the least amonut of drug interactions and with her being on so many different meds at any given time, this is the one he feels the most comfortable with. As with any anti-seizure med there are side effects. Primarily drowsiness. But with this one there is the possibility of irriatiability in children. Which should go away, but if it doens't they can try some vitamin b6 and if that doesn't work, they will just take her off that one and try another one instead.

So I am starting her on the meds today and it will gradually go up until after 4 weeks, then she will be at her the dose they want her on. So unitl that time I just need to keep an eye on her and see how she reacts to the medicine. I have let her teacher know this as well, so that way they can let me know if they see any difference in E at school.

In one week she finally goes and see Pulminary at U of M to hopefully set up a bronch to see how her lungs really are. I can't wait for that. Then hopefully after we have the results from that we can decided if E can move ahead with the intensive feeding program. I truly believe we are at an ideal age and temperment for her to be in the program and I think it will have the best results if done now.

However, if she does get into the program it means 6 to 8 weeks of 5 days a week 8 hours a day at Mary Free Bed to get the program done. That will be the true test. How well do both her and I adjust to that. We shall cross that bridge when it happend though.

No comments: