Thursday, April 14, 2011

Answers, FINALLY!!!!

I finally got some answers today to Elizabeth's stomach issues!!!  I can not even begin to tell you what a relief it is to finally have answers as to why my peanut gets so uncomfortable every month, gags, retches, and has diarrhea.  Miss Elizabeth has yet another diagnosis to add to her already lengthy medical history.  Her gastro doctor believes that Elizabeth is suffering from abdominal migraines.  Migraines run in my family and I suffer from them.  A few years ago Elizabeth had to episodes of paroxysmal vertigo of childhood as well and from what I have read about that, it is a precursor to migraines. A good article that explains both conditions can be found here http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1178141-overview

So I am glad to finally know what is causing this, but also sad to know that my poor baby is suffering from migraines.  I hate that she had to inherit that form me.  I know how horrible it is to have an adult and to think she is already suffering from them and probably will continue to is heart breaking.  Her dr wants to put her on Periactin for it to help.  However she wants to know that neurology is on board with this decision first.  So I have called neuro and am waiting to hear back.  I truly hope we can find her some comfort from this.

We are also going to look at stopping the ery-ped which is an antibiotic that she has been on for months to help with her delayed gastric emptying.  We are hoping that she is doing so well that the neurontin will be enough to keep her emptying properly. But again, dr wants to check with feeding clinic first as they are the ones that started her on that med.

Her weight was 39 lbs which is 9th percentile and her height was 43 inches which is 7th percentile.  Her bmi is still near the 25th percentile so that is ok.  We will continue to watch her weight as we have been.

From a pulmonary stand point, she is doing very well.  They say we have her asthma well managed on the medicine we have her on and they aren't going to make any changes.  So I'm happy to hear that.  They did say that she will always have chronic lung disease and asthma, mainly from her premature birth and pneumonia at birth, but as long as we keep it managed she should be ok.

So all in all I feel is was a very productive visit to the doctors office.  Just waiting for a few phone calls now and to get our plan in motion.  Again I can't tell you what a relief it is to find out why Elizabeth was getting sick every month!!

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Hi Elizabeth and Family
My name is Jenna and i came across your site. Elizabeth, is an amazing, courageous, strong and determined fighter. She is a brave warrior, smilen champ, inspirational hero, a super trooper, and a tough cookie. I am glad u got to the bottom of why she has tummy issues.
I am having tummy issues too and no one can find out why.
I was born with a rare life threatening disease. www.miraclechamp.webs.com