Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Battling C. DIff, still....

As most of you know, Elizabeth has been battling c.diff since Memorial day weekend.  She has had two rounds of Flagyl and yet her stool sample still came back positive last week.  Her ped didn't want to treat it and in fact told me that after 2 treatments, c.diff no longer needs to be treated.  In fact she just wanted me to pump E full of probiotics.  While I'm ok with her getting lots of probiotics, I truly believed she needed more antibiotics as all the research I had done said that she needed more antibiotics.  So I called her gi who agreed with me.  They called in vancomyacin.

However on Saturday she got increasingly sicker and I had to take her to the hospital where they decided to admit her for the night.  They took her off feeds all together and started an iv on her to give her the fluids she so badly needed and also to let her tummy have a break.  She did well over night and she was released on Sunday afternoon.

She has now been on the vanco since Saturday as well as a ton of probiotics.  I am truly hoping that the vanco will kick this bacteria to the curb once and for all.  If it doesn't I don't know what the next step will be. I'm sure she will def earn herself a trip to Infectious Disease, that's for sure.

There is  more I want to blog about, but it will have to wait until I have a little more time and information.

No comments: