Monday, September 27, 2010

3 year re-evaluation for special education-MET

So I'm actually on the verge of tears as I write this.  Tomorrow is Elizabeth's IEP (Individaul Education Plan) at school.  Her MET or 3 year re-evaluation was also due at this time.  Today when E got home from school, she had her evaluation reports in her bag from speech and occupational therapy.  Speech was pretty much what I expected.  Elizabeth's receptive language was very good.  Just to recap a few things the speech therapist wrote: Elizabeth came willingly and was cooperative with all tasks.  At times, she demonstrated distractibility; however, she was easily redirected to task.  She was tested over mulitple sessions, with breaks provided regularly.

Elizabeth has a number of strengths which include her ability to formulate complete, grammatically correct sentences, and to use a variety of language forms correctly.  Elizabeth's multiple speech sound errors make it difficult to understand her verbal expression, particularly when she begins speaking at a more rapid rate of speed.  This can lead to increased frustration and decreased participation by a child with articulation errors, and in addition, can decrease her ability to convey her content knowledge to her teacher and others in her school enviroment.

So like I said, pretty much what I expected to hear.  I'll find out tomorrow what her goals will be and how many times a week she will receive speech services at school.  I'm very proud of how far she has come since getting her trach out 3 years ago.  Prior to that she wasn't able to talk at all, so she is doing well.

Now her OT evaluation is what has me near tears.  I honestly thought that Elizabeth was on the right track as far as OT was concerned.  I was completely shocked and taken back by the results of her evaluation.  Just so everyone knows, OT looks at what is needed for a person to be a productive member of society for their age.  Specifically in Elizabeth they are looking at her everyday life as an almost 6 year old and in kindergarten.  With that being said, I will now share what the evaluation said:

Test Behavior: Elizabeth was cooperative during most of the testing.  At times she tried testing her limits reaching and touching most materials within her reach.  She showed good attention for short periods of time.  She seems to tire easily at times especially when she did not particularly want to do something or when activities became difficult.

Activities of Daily Living: Elizabeth is able to taje care of her dressing, toileting and hygiene needs similar to a child of near 5 yrs of age.

Use of School Materials: Elizabeth is able to use many school material well similar to a child 4.5 to 5 years.  She needed help completing a 7 pc puzzle(4 yr task) only the first time, however, needed help with a 10 pc puzzle(4-5 yr task).

Visual Perception Skills: Elizabeth shows visual and visual perception skills like a 4.5 yr old student.  Her overall attention to tasks appears short for a nearly 6 yr old student.  She is quick to look away from her tasks and frequently does not complete them.  Visual tracking of a moving target appeared adequate in most directions.  She tended to lose the target when following in the lower quadrant(looking down).  She avoids crossing her midline by moving her body as she writes, keeping her right body side alonf the right side of the page.  Elizabeth's approach to information on a written page appears disorganized.  Elizabeth was able to draw a person similar to a student 4 yrs 10 months old.

Fine Motor Skills: Elizabeth's fine motor skills range from 4.5 to 5 years.  She write/colors for very brief periods of time ( 1-2 minutes) before distracting herself with something else near by. 

Summary: Elizabeth is showing skills similar to a younger student of 4-5 years in most areas.  Perceptual organization(working in the right direction) has not developed adequately for sucess in a typical kindergarten classroom.  It is recommened that Elizabeth continue to receive special education services in her POHI KNDG classroom and OT.

Ok, again I want to cry just writing all this out.  She has been in school for 4 years now and still isn't ready for kindergarten.  I am so worried and nervous.  I have been told for years now that ADHD is more prominent in premature babies as well as children with a family history of bi-polar disorder.  She also has major signs of difance disorder as well.  I feel so lost.  I don't even knwo what to think or do.  I'm sure that at her IEP tomorrow I will hear a lot more and I'm sure the social worker will have a lot to tell me.  I just can't understand how after both Bill and I have worked so much with her and she has had 3 years of school already that she could still be so far behind occupational wise.  Speech I expect and even physically I expect a little given all her surgeries and what not, but I really though in this area she was on target.  Heck most ppl at first glance think she is a very intellegent and together little girl.  Even the school psychologist thought after having only met her for 2 hours that she didn't need to be in special ed, but rather in general ed kndg.  I guess she was wrong and I'm glad I told her to wait and evaluate her.

I will update more tomorrow after her IEP, which I so wish I wasn't going to alone, esp after hearing all this already.  I just don't know how strong I am and if I can handle all this.

No comments: